Welcome to What’s in a Game! I’m starting this blog for a few reasons:
- Help myself and others learn game design through analyzing real-world games in depth
- Share my expertise in software engineering
- Encourage others to create the games of their dreams
I hope to cover various topics related to what games are made of including:
- Design topics related to games such as flow channels, positive and negative feedback, etc.
- Game architecture
- General Code Quality and how it relates to making games
- Good software engineering practices that help people stay on track in their projects
- Personal development – the only thing stopping you from making the games of your dreams
I tend to like JRPGs and 3D platformers more than other genres. If you are curious, some of my favorite games include:
- Final Fantasy series (X, IX, VI especially)
- Donkey Kong Country 2
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Zelda: Twilight Princess
You can read more about me on the About page.